Delicious butter a chicken in well under an hour? Almost feels to good to be true. Naan, or pita bread, is non-negotiable. Bonus: this dish freezes so well. Pop it in an air-tight container in the freezer and it’ll keep fresh for up to 6 months.
Made it? Let us know how it went in the comment section below!
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 45 MINS
Juice of 1/2 a lemon 1 tsp.
ground turmeric 2 tsp.
garam masala, divided 1 tsp.
ground cumin 1 1/2 lb.
boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1″ pieces6 tbsp.
large onion, sliced2
cloves garlic, minced1 tbsp.
freshly grated ginger1 tsp.
(28-oz.) can diced tomatoes1/2 c.
Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
Cooked basmati rice, for serving
Naan, for servingDIRECTIONS
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, lemon, turmeric, 1 teaspoon garam masala, and cumin. Add chicken and toss until fully coated. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Working in batches, add chicken and cook until golden all over, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the onion, jalapeños, and cinnamon stick. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger, remaining teaspoon garam masala, and paprika and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add the tomatoes and bring mixture to a simmer. Return chicken to pot and toss to coat. Let simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve warm over rice with naan.