- Level: Easy
- Yield: 8 danish
- Total: 35 min
- Active: 15 min
1 large egg plus 1 yolk
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
One 17.3-ounce box frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper.
- Beat the whole egg with 1 teaspoon of water in a small bowl; set aside.
- Beat the egg yolk, cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Lay out the 2 sheets of puff pastry and cut each into 4 squares. Fold the corners of the squares over by about 1 inch to make octagon shapes. Spoon the cream cheese mixture evenly into the center of each (about 2 tablespoons per); do not spread the cream cheese. Brush all of the exposed pastry with the egg wash, then dust generously with sugar.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown all over, about 18 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.